Monday, January 26, 2009

The Round Table

    Once again in Brunswick and we've picked up a round oak dining table. I want to say the first time there cause I remember it coming from an antique store in Lisbon Falls but hey it's a ' Memry'. It was with us at PT Mugu. It was in the garage for awhile and for some reason I left a can of transmission fluid on it that left a stain. For some other unremembered reason this was common enough knowledge that I was charged with & justly punished for the crime. The punishment was to sand away the stain. People transmission fluid on oak goes real deep. Like several inches. I'd never run a sander before but every day after school I'd go out and sand. Finally got to what I thought was an agreeable amount of the offence removed. The table got a new stain and finish and was reinstated as the dinner table. I got to sit in front of the ex stain. It slanted radically towards you. I'd over done the sanding. It was actually a blessing if properly managed. It kept the juice from the peas out of your mashed potatoes but dangerously close to your lap. Later the center column was removed and it did time as a coffee table.
    When we moved into the cabin here 25 years ago there was a round oak table sans center column in the living room. It's still there. It wasn't sanded.

Zipidee!

1 comment:

Mandapooh said...

I just hate it when I have to look at something I messed up.