Friday, January 23, 2009

President Kennedy


    The Unc's at Pt. Mugu right now so I'll go there with him.
September of '63 a little over two months before he was assassinated JFK came to Point Mugu. We lived on base & I wanted to get out to the greeting area at the runway early but because it was a school day had to go to school and then be bussed back with every body else. Needless to say being late made getting to the front of the crowd hopeless or so it looked. As he was walking down the line shaking hands I dropped to my knees and shoved my hand through the hips & legs in front of me. As a hand gripped mine and shook the bodies in front of me parted just enough to see that amazing smile as he looked me in the eye and moved on moment gone but cherished forever.
    Pt. Mugu was as close to Country Club living as I ever did or ever will get. There was a Bowling Alley (25 cents a game), a Theater (Saturday Matinee 10 cents), a swimming Pool (free) Baseball Fields, a Hobby Shop all of it within walking distance of the house. There was also a base beach that we could ride our bikes to. On the forth of July We had our own private fire works show.
    Ever hear of Grunion? Well they're little fish that come ashore at certain Moon phases to lay their eggs. You just scoop them up with your hands and put them in a basket. Or so I've been told. We were never at the right beach at the right time. After our second failed attempt I had started thinking that we were being led on a West Coast version of a 'Snipe Hunt'. But it was a legit event.
    I've posted before about Unc & I living in a camping trailer in the back yard.
    Dad wanted a fence in the back yard and a privacy screen around the back porch, very California thing the screen. He found out that they were throwing away old bunk beds from the enlisted barracks so he brought them home. We had to take the runner off of each side rail using a torturous device known as a 'Yankee Screwdriver'. The space between each fence post was therefore the length of a bunk bed, he height of the privacy screen was the length of a bunk bed. Now for the color. While at the base dump acquiring the fencing material Dad comes across discarded 5 gallon pails of paint. Well the only color of paint used on a Naval Base is Battle Ship Gray. That's the color we painted the fence & the privacy screen.

    

No comments: