Thursday, December 11, 2008

State of Health

Jacci & I didn’t have medical insurance for the first 27 years of our marriage. We were lucky to have coverage for the boys. Then along came the ‘Tobacco Settlement’. Pennsylvania used it to subsidize insurance for households with qualifying incomes. Our incomes qualified.
Jacci immediately took advantage of our new insurance policy by having several test run. One was a colonoscopy that turned up an issue requiring a bowel resection. With out the insurance there would have been no test. We credit this state program with saving Jacci’s life.
I, being male, new that all was well with me insurance or no. Until a Dr. customer looked at the pimple on my nose and recommended I have it looked at. Though small the cancer was removed with little noticeable disfigurement. I credit this state program with saving my nose. Something that might not be important to my rugged features but does hold up my glasses.
Last month we received a letter from the state claiming our income no longer fell in their qualifying category. DEVASTION. Though I did make considerably more this year and last due to the house I built I don’t get that kind of job often and my income will drop to normal or below this coming year. Once you’re bounced you go to the back of a very long line and have to wait for an opening (others being bounced) before you’re reinstated.
We took advantage of a review that was offered and after submitting a letter we were contacted by phone. Seems when Rudy passed his business partner screwed up the inheritance thing with a late submission of taxable income that wound up being reported on our taxes instead of the estate taxes. Therefore the bump. Once explained the state lady said ‘Oh! Never mind then. You’re reinstated”. HALLELUIA!!
Well maybe. In my attempt to calm Jacci at the termination I pointed out that all of those years without insurance we were well and didn’t need it but when we did need it it was there and that the termination was confirmation that once again we were well. Now we got insurance again …I’m snifflin…I may just go lay down.

No comments: