Saturday, December 06, 2008

Lights of Christmas

There was a time in my life when the lights of the Dan River Mill were magic to me. Behind me were the Christmas lights of the Mill Village that my grandparents lived in. My Paw Paw’s lights were the most & brightest lights in the neighborhood.
At Christmas when we visited we were allowed to stay up ‘til Paw Paw’s shift was over at 10pm. At 9:55 we’d race from the house across the street to the main gate. Faces pressed against the chain link fence bettin who’d be first to make out his silhouette when he came through the door and shout “Paw Paw!” Maybe he’d bring out a 6 oz Coke with him and share with us maybe not, didn’t matter we’d all grab our share of him and hang on ‘til home.
While sittin out the first semester of 70/71 I worked at that Mill. Paw Paw & Maw Maw had retired by then but there were still some there that remembered me & my siblings at Christmas hanging on the fence.
Paw Paw used to put more lights on his house & yard than anyone in Clanton. One December a Tornado raced down his street rippin his roof off along with every light & decoration he owned. It also ripped the end off of the Mill. Paw Paw’s collection of lights never did recover.

Zipidee!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Mother always talks about the blue lights of the mill as well - that she always thought they were Christmas decorations - not just the lights of the mill. :-)