Tuesday, November 18, 2008

More Billionaire Bitchin

The previous blog was not a statement against capitalism as a model but as an observation of what unregulated greed does to capitalism. My concern isn’t about what a person makes as much as it is about what that person takes. My reason for bringing it up was as a warning to us 95%ers. Many of us are comfortable with things as they are. How not? I sit at my computer in my warm home overlooking a beautiful lake blogging about whatever I wish. I’m not in the upper 95% (guess they would be mere millionaires) but if the greedy top, and that includes some of the 95%ers, let that precarious balance tip it will definitely disturb my lifestyle.
I’m glad, no glad’s to sedate, I’m jumpin for joy that Unc has been able to move forward and is again self employed. I never doubted he’d make it. I’m sure he’d agree about how precarious our station is in this 95%.
Let’s look real quick at that $8 laborer. If he works 10 hrs a day and can get 50 weeks of work a year he’ll make $20,000. Having been in the trades for 32 years it’s my experience that he’ll be among the lucky if he gets 35 weeks. He’d be better off working at WallyWorld were he’d get at least 35 hrs a week all year long but he’s got a problem. He reads at a 1st grade level and his math is no better. He’s been told by so many for so long that he’s stupid he believes it. Filling out an application for a job is a nightmare he’ll just skip. So there’s one more in the trench of the lowest 95%ers.
I’ll use a name we’re all familiar with that belongs to the 1%ers. Bill Gates. Worth $58 BILLION. Folks a BILLION is 1,000 Million! Can your mind grasp that kind of greed? I’ll argue forever against those that say he’s a wonderful philanthropist because he gave 50 million to such and such a cause. I’ll also argue with those that say capitalism won’t work with regulations that protect our economy and society from that much greed.
If you want to see a list of the Billionaires, how much they have and where they’re from this is Forbes list. http://www.forbes.com/lists/2008/10/billionaires08_The-Worlds-Billionaires_Rank.html . This is an international list. The number two guy on it is from Mexico. You know that 'poor' country south of us.

No comments: