Thursday, February 03, 2011

Vigor

    
I finished shoveling yesterday & last nights snow and ice. I stood back and marveled at my accomplishment. Puffed chest due to accomplishment yet not out of breath, tired but due to great exertion not a lack of oxygen. So I asked myself how could I report this feat to others and share this feeling of triumph? Well I’d find a quantitative measure that would readily bring to mind the immensity of the task and the truly Herculean effort. Stables had been used so I decided a measure of land, since it was terra firma that had been exposed, would suffice. I'd Bushoged Acres before and seen feilds that were described in Acres. An Acre it is.

    
So looking at it, the area exposed, I’d need a descriptive fraction because as large an area that it was it definitely was not an Acre. Half Acre? No. One sisteenth? well I don't really know what an Acre meassures. So off to Google with a shot of celebratory & medicinal whiskey I go.

    
Well this sucks!! An Acre is 43,560 square feet! The area I’d shoveled was approx 12 x 80, or 960 square feet. One forty fifth of an acre. In my defense the snow/ice was 6 to 8 inches deep but 1/45 th ? Even if I divide it by six it's only 6/45 th's. What a slacker.

    
One more shot of this medicinal shit and I’m headin back out to shovel a path to the lake by God!



    

1 comment:

unclewesty said...

Sorry I took so long to read your blog. I for one am AMAZED at your stamina and manhoodliness. I certainly could not shovel 1/45th of an acre of snow or cow chips. Yea you!