Friday, February 27, 2009

Wasup!

I go to Bama and away from my keyboard and everyone gets amnesia!? Lordy Lordy! I've had the time to 'member but you've all tried to be online at Mom's and know how frustrating that can be. But I'm in front of my 'puter now and will try to spark the conversation. Hmmmmmm! now let's hop into the way back machine. This'll be before some (sorry).
Granpa Garner loved peppermint sticks, or so we were told, and we never went to their house without a few to give him. Then one day we discovered the GIANT peppermint stick. It was about a foot long and as big around as a half dollar. WOW! was he ever gonna love this. Well he made as big a deal about it as we hoped he would and we continued to bring them to him at every visit. Much after he'd passed and I'd grown I realized what a pain in the ass that thing musta been. Visualizing him sucking on that humongous piece of candy cracks me up now. Knowing that to eat it he'd have to shatter it with a hammer to eat any of it makes me appreciate how much he loved the gift & givers more than the peppermint. Wonder how many were just tossed.
I sat with Unc last week at the coffee shop that used to be Grandad's paper. I was totally washed in memories while talking with my brother. The register & coffee machines occupied the press, the Linotype was replaced by what seemed to be a private sitting area. Grandads Coke box had a bathroom in it's place. Just behind where I was sitting I could see Grandad in his lite grey pants and long sleeve white shirt, sleeves rolled up, setting type in a tray by hand. I wanted to go out the front and up the stairs & past Grandads office where all the confetti was and the glue pot where he made note pads for us. I had more than coffee & a danish that morning.

Zippidee

No comments: